Well I blew my diet on this one. I have been wanting to try a brown sugar pound cake recipe for a long time now. In fact, I have a list of brown sugar desserts I plan to blog in the very near future. Brown sugar is a favorite at the Bakehouse. The kids are caught literally digging their hands into the brown sugar jar I leave on the counter. They try and shove as many scoops as they can in their mouth before I catch them. I love it too. The molasses and sugar combo is actually easy to make and I will share a homemade recipe for it soon ( yes, you can make your own BS at home) but for now let’s talk cake. This cake is super moist and buttery with a very tender crumb and tons of IN YOUR FACE brown sugar flavor. I absolutely love the melt in your mouth texture (thanks to the butter) and the drizzle of buttery brown sugar glaze on top. This cake is so moist, it actually doesn’t need the drizzle but why leave it out? Like I always say, if you’re going to cheat, indulge or stray off of your diet do it all the way and really enjoy your little slice of heaven. This butter and sugar drizzle is cooked on the stove which caramelizes the brown sugar making it taste just like butterscotch. Homemade butterscotch is just as good, if not better than homemade Brown Sugar. It really tops this perfect bundt cake well giving it that extra oomph and indulgence most of us crave when our sweet tooth get’s the best of us. I know this cake will blow your diet too but it’s running season so do a few extra laps and if you don’t run, walk your butt off. It will be worth it for a slice of decadent brown sugar bundt cake. Enjoy!
Once the brown sugar cake is to room temperature, it’s ready for your lovely homemade brown sugar glaze. Just pour it into a pourable glass measuring cup and drizzle over top of your cake. You can also drizzle each slice when serving.
Looks just like honey doesn’t it? Sweet like honey too and tastes like hot buttery, brown sugar heaven.
You can see the moistness in the crumb. It’s so moist you can literally eat it with a spoon.
adapted from Betty Crocker.
Brown Sugar Pound Cake
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a standard size bundt pan up to 10 inches. In a small bowl mix together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat glaze ingredients except vanilla to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla. Drizzle warm sauce over sliced cake.