“I am a member of the Mom it forward network and have been compensated by Hillshire Brands for this post. All opinions, recipe,photos and text are my own.”
French toast is a favorite at the Bakehouse. My kids ask for it often and devour it while asking for seconds every time it’s served. What I like about french toast, is it’s versatility. You can add different spices, flavored syrups and berries or you can create a breakfast baked casserole that can be prepared ahead of time. This time saver makes it a winner when choosing a dish to serve to overnight guests. This recipe uses Hillshire Brands Jimmy Dean maple sausage roll. The sweet and savory mix will have your kitchen smelling so captivating, the family will come rushing in to see what’s on the menu. It’s the most delicious, down home cooking kind of scent that makes your belly roar.
The added protein to this fabulous french toast bake makes it extra filling and flavorful. It’s easy to add protein to your recipes with products from Hillshire Brands. You can find sausage rolls, links, crumbles and patties at your fingertips. Just head to the refrigerated breakfast section of your local Safeway or grocery store.
COUPON: If you go onto the Safeway website you will find J4U (just for you) printable coupons. To get your Hillshire Farms coupons as well as other grocery items, click HERE.
Sweet and spicy is always a hit with me and this recipe is no exception. The apple slices add a Fall flare and additional flavor between each texas toast slice. Texas toast is a loaf of very thick sliced white bread. It’s absolutely a must for making the best french toast you have ever tasted. If you can’t find it use any good quality white bread.
Add the cooked Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage to the top of your apple and bread slices. Then pour the egg mixture carefully over the top covering each section entirely. The egg mixture will soak into the bread and work its way down to the bottom of the casserole dish. Each slice of texas toast will puff it up slightly and to make it extra moist and delicious when baking. It will taste similar to bread pudding. Soft and gooey, flavorful and heavenly. Now this is a breakfast worth waking up to every morning. I am in love!
I used a 1.5 quart Oval Casserole dish to make my sausage apple french bread bake, but you can use any casserole dish you own. Just make sure it holds at least 1.5 quarts.
The soft, eggy bread is joined by soft baked apples, spicy sweet sausage crumbles and then topped with pure maple syrup for extra flavor.
Sausage Apple French Toast Bake
- 1 16.0z roll Jimmy Dean maple sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 6 slices thick Texas Toast or 12 slices regular white bread, cut in half
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a medium skillet, brown maple sausage roll until no longer pink and in fine crumbles. Drain and set aside.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 1.5 quart casserole dish. Slice each piece of bread in half and cut apples into thin slices. Starting with the bread, alternate bread and apple sliced overlapping each.
- In a large bowl lightly beat with a wire whisk the eggs, milk, apple cider cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined. Pour carefully on top of bread and apple slices. Be sure to soak each slice completely and evenly. Spread sausage crumbles over top and into crevices as necessary to fill gaps and to not overflow on top.
- This recipe can be prepared ahead of time. Follow steps to assemble and cover with foil overnight and refrigerator. Bake uncovered the next morning as stated in directions.