Peanut butter cookies are a favorite at the Bakehouse and today I decided to make them a little sweeter (and extra special) by tucking in Reese’s Pieces candies. The secret to making a more attractive baked cookie is to press the candy (or any add-on you like) into the cookie dough before baking. Doing this instead of mixing the candy into the dough will give you guaranteed placement of the candy and a bright, vibrant cookie that is just as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate. Not that these chewy peanut butter cookies need to look handsome to taste delicious but it sure doesn’t hurt. My kids like their Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter with a cold glass of milk. So that’s exactly what was waiting for them as an after school snack just like my Mom did for my brother and I. I remember the feeling of warmth and comfort to come home from school to a batch of freshly baked cookies. Something so simple, can mean the world to someone. Bake a batch for your favorite tikes or the proud peanut butter lovers in your life and watch their sparkly grins spread from ear to ear. Happy Baking ya’ll!
What’s great about baking with peanut butter is you don’t need to grease the cookie sheet or use parchment paper. The natural oils in the peanut butter will prevent them from sticking to the pan. It’s also the secret to a chewy and flavorful cookie.
This batch made two dozen cookies. They were gone in seconds!
The outside is crisp and the inside chewy. The makings of a fabulous cookie indeed.
We still had half a bag of Reese’s Pieces candy left. We nibbled on them after the cookies were gone. The cookies also make a great ice cream topping. Just crumble on top of vanilla or chocolate ice cream and sprinkle the remaining Reese’s Pieces on too. So unnecessary but sinfully sweet and delicious.
Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 10.5 oz bag reeses pieces
- Mix sugars, peanut butter, shortening and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat just until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and add to peanut butter mixture. Stir until combined.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Using a small cookie scoop, scoop dough onto ungreased cookie sheet. Place about 3 inches apart. Press 3-4 Reese's pieces into cookie dough balls. Dough does not have to be flattened first.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown on the edges. Cool 2 minutes on pan and then remove from to a wire rack to cool completely.
Purchase Cookbook Delicious Mornings HERE!