If you love bananas dipped in chocolate, you will love this delectable, chocolate banana bread. It’s a fabulous quick bread recipe to have on hand during the busy Holidays when you need something delicious to bake in a pinch. I used Rodelle European dutch process Baking Cocoa for an extra rich chocolatey flavor. It’s always best to use the best quality cocoa you can find for the best flavor possible. As a seasoned baker, I have trusted Rodelle for years and use the brand for all of my baking needs. I also used Rodelle’s pure vanilla extract in this recipe and I must say, this quick bread is packed with layers of incredible flavor. Its moistness comes from using very ripe bananas. The flavor of chocolate and banana together makes it taste reminiscent of a banana split. Okay, well not really but you get my drift. Simply divine and great for the Holidays or anytime of year. If you are baking edible gifts this year, this recipe will put a smile on anyone’s face and can be easily packaged for gifting. See below for examples of crafty ways to wrap a loaf to wow friends and family. Happy Baking.
With little pieces of bananas baked into each slice, you can see and taste how moist this chocolatey bread really is. SO good.
For this recipe, I used Rodelle European Dutch Processed Baking Cocoa. This has a richer, deeper chocolate flavor but if you can’t find it, you can substitute it for natural cocoa powder.
Adding walnuts to this quick bread will give it a delightful crunch and earthy nutty flavor. Since we have tree nut allergies at the Bakehouse, I opted to leave them out. The flecks you see in the picture are itty bitty chunks of banana. Pure and moist and absolutely delicious !
Inspiration:Creative packaging ideas for your Chocolate Banana Bread
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder Dutch processed (I used Rodelle)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 ripe bananas mashed well (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract ( I used Rodelle)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack to middle position. Butter and flour or use baking spray with flour, the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. With a spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients until just combined. Batter will be thick. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Then remove bread from pan and finish cooling on wire rack. Can be covered and stored for a 3 days, or wrapped in cellophane and frozen for later use.