Today we had our first snow of the season and School was cancelled. My kids were so excited, that they were out frolicking in the snow by 9:00 am. Since I had some free time, I decided to do what I do best… make a yummy dessert! I instantly thought of chocolate Mousse since I already had heavy whipping cream on hand. To me, mousse is a sophisticated Adult dessert. It’s lighter than pudding but has a whipped texture and a flavor that’s rich and decadent. I knew with picky eaters, I had to make a Mousse that was “kid friendly” and would appeal to them. As I was searching for a recipe online, I came across one on Betty Crocker. It was actually made with Hot Cocoa mix which happens to be my kids favorite drink. Since I had plenty of hot cocoa mix, I decided to give it a whirl and in less than 10 minutes I had the most amazing Mousse to serve my kiddos when they came in from the cold. This was a winner!
These are the ingredients you need to make your mousse. It doesn’t have to be made with expensive chocolate to be yummy. Use any brand or flavor of Cocoa that you like best. You can also substitute the extract for coffee extract and use nutmeg instead of cinnamon. Make it your own and make it YUMMY!
That’s all folks. It’s that simple. In less than ten minutes you will be eating the most amazing Mousse you have ever made. Top it how you wish and dig in!
- 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 packages (1.25 oz each) instant hot cocoa mix (any flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Ground cinnamon, if desired
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips, chocolate curls, sprinkles or candy, if desired
- In medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high-speed until cream begins to thicken.
- On medium speed, beat in powdered sugar and cocoa mix until blended. Add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and the vanilla; beat on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Spoon mousse into individual dessert dishes. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Refrigerate until ready to serve